Tuesday, May 26, 2009

'Brave' and 'I Stand' by Morgan

Right to Be Me

New faces, new places,
Old fears finally left behind.
Is it okay for me to feel
Confused and overwhelmed?

I’ve tried to speak my mind,
I’ve weighed the pros and the cons.
But how am I supposed to know
Who to trust?

Is the choreography of my life
so disjointed?
I’m stronger and wiser,
And braver than yesterday.

When I look into the mirror,
And the windows of my mind,
I see a young and independent woman
Trying to break free.

But it’s time to make my move,
To create my own destiny.
And take the training wheels off
My choices, my future.

Is it wrong or is it right?
I’ll never win without a fight.
But by following my heart and soul,
I’ll have a new sense of control,
And stand for my right to be me.


I wrote this poem because I was inspired by the songs “Brave” and “I Stand.” When I was singing both songs in the shower one night, I realized that they define what I’m feeling at this point in time, about to graduate high school and had off to college.

Deciding to go to college was actually a really big decision for me, mainly because my “dream job” is to be a professional ballet dancer. Believe it or not, after four years of college, 22 years old is ancient for a ballet dancer! My mom was pushing for me to stay home and attend a training program instead of college, but I had this gut feeling that in terms of my growth as person, and a dancer, that wasn’t the right move.

“Brave” and “I Stand” put into words what I wanted to and finally built up the courage to express to my parents, family and friends. I finally understood the magnitude of this decision, and knew that I had to speak my mind or else I would regret it. I guess my poem is just an extension of the battle between my thoughts.

My name is Morgan and I’m from Woodcliff Lake, NJ. I’m 18 years old and about to graduate from high school! I’m going to be attending Butler University in Indianapolis and majoring in ballet (and maybe creative writing…I love writing poetry!). My dream is to be a dancer in a major international ballet company, like American Ballet Theatre. I also hope, after my dance performance career is over, to become a choreographer. Like you’ve said when you write songs, dance is the medium where I can be myself, be experimental, and just do what I love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

Original Concept and Artwork is (c) So Beautiful Fan Forum and Respective Artists. 2009. Banner designed by Natalie.